Sunday, May 6, 2012

Why do we avoid inquiry?

Yesterday at Adyashanti's event in San Rafael we volunteered and were given parking lot duty and chair take-down duties. I had an inquiry in mind, got a 3rd row seat,
and put my hand up once. But I was already in doubt since he had talked around my inquiry during his monologue. By the time I had a chance to really assert that I had a question, it was muddied and I was concerned about which way the inquiry would go after my initial question. My inquiry was about the relationship between nonduality and duality, or between n.d. and unity, or even going straight to the concept of a final duality - my mind was ping-ponging back and forth. He said things like "we wake up from divisiveness" and "true unity" which crowded my reference to his book that suggests nonduality is beyond unity. In addition to my growing unclarity, any audience over 200 erodes away courage. Better to wait until the inquiry can come out with conviction and focus. There's an intensive in Oakland next week, at $90 a pop, where we have also volunteered to help with setup. There are endless ways to serve the Truth.
But what fears cause people to avoid inquiry in general? Just doing self-inquiry is a major hurdle for many, because the process itself forces looking at inner fears that may be coming from the unconscious, from ugly memories, from old traumas. All that has to be dealt with. Therapy brings up fears, and of course most people are actually afraid to inquire in satsang, whether they admit it or not, it shows. Or is it that some are content enough, or distracted enough, or simply blind enough, to truly not have any inquiries?
My inquiries now come out of a place of curiosity, and a sense of play. As long as they are inspiring and take me deeper, I will ask and pursue. I always come up with my own answers. Yet in the absence of connecting to "others" do they mean anything more than sitting in utter silence, while simply chopping wood and carrying water? Or is that the answer to what may be the final inquiry that the human mind is capable of?
So I was able to listen to four people talk about emotional issues, although to their credit three spoke about stages of awakening they were going through. In general, the satsang was about as good as it gets around here.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah -the mind is good for survival computations,manifesting ambition or desires and generally having enhanced fun as a person. It's not so good with coping with frustrated desire and it's got very little truth in it as it just spins around within the world of a separate reality.
    But this all pales compared with the idea that people think they are their minds and worse that it is something they are not fully in control of. And there's the fear. This is just social conditioning and lack of education- a situation that is changing with the exponential spiritual awakening that is occuring :))

    ReplyDelete