Thursday, May 10, 2012

From where does the teaching of emptiness come?

It's not from Sai Baba, Eckart Tolle, Adyashanti, Jean Klein, Ramana, or Nisargadatta. They are just handing it down, and as one lesser teacher put it "repackaging."
Some packages are more inspiring than others. Yet, it was an established teaching a thousand years before the discovery of America, and it was expounded on in ways that are more insightful and compelling than many "contemporary teachers" can claim.
The original doctrine of emptiness seems to come from Buddha even a thousand years before that. However it was also a central teaching in Taoism. Schools of Chinese Buddhist philosophy picked up on it... Amitabha and Avalokitashvara Buddhas.
Tien-Tai or Heavenly Terrace school seems to have had a unique purpose - it was founded by Chih-I (531-597) to resolve contradictions among many doctrines and sutras that were confusing, to give some consistency. (From DVD Great Courses series, Buddhism, 2001).
Chi-I thought the LOTUS SUTRA was the best and most definitive text of all Buddha's teachings.


Now what? Why do people who have realized the Truth have so many different and contradictory ways of expounding it? Can it be as they sometimes claim, that their version is just their version, take it or leave it? Or as some say, the other teacher hasn't realized it deeply enough?

2 comments:

  1. There is only my truth that I see when I stop thought. The various Enlightened Ones teach and if I don't allign with them they only offer me another belief system for the mind to mess about with!
    "I am That" is just bs (a beleif system LOL) if one doesn't personally experience it. Right?

    Non of this Godhead business computes in my mind -but it all seems obvious when I just look without thought. And all these 'Greater and Lesser' Gurus seems within me in those moments.
    Which seems weird..haha

    I would say "Find your own truth!".
    If you see what might be described as Emptiness then so be it.
    This is why Osho talks about reading too many Scriptures (another posting of yours -you quote him) - one should get out of the library and seek one's own truth...And leave ones mind that *only* seems to promotes separation.
    .There is no truth in the mind -only messing around with a created constructed reality
    .There is no understanding in the mind -just more messing around and around and around.
    .There is no question that has an answer with truth in it - the answer lies in the self discovery that the answers spawned -ones own truth is ..er...stimulated by the Gurus' words.
    .The truth cannot be thought in the mind
    .The truth cannot be written
    .Er -never say 'cannot' either - anything is possible - but this just shows how my language here is just WORDS/THOUGHTS.
    .It's this bs here that might spawn your truth!

    I am not blessed with your inteligence or interlect -so it's easier for me not to think LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paloma you said: "There is no truth in the mind -only messing around with a created constructed reality.There is no understanding in the mind -just more messing around and around and around."

      A lot better than just saying "let be, and let go." You give some insight to the subject!
      Probably another area where I am eccentric. Not sure about intelligence, although I admit to some, lol, it's more that I'm an obsessional investigator, so curious about things. I was that way as a school kid. In the book I'm starting I'm going into more insight about why I think it's cool to keep inquiring until the mind is "finished." But kudos to those who dont need to, and can find ease of being and peace without brainstorming these things.
      Here is a great u-tube link to spiritual teachers, some of whom I've seen and dialogued with:
      http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhaAtTheGasPump?feature=grec_my_sub

      Delete