Monday, May 14, 2012

How do you know if you are awakened?

One of my fellow Dharma students asked "do you think you are awakened?"


"I don't know that I am," I said, "but I'll tell you what I do know. I know that I wake up every morning and feel inspired about the coming day. It doesn't matter what happens or what I do, it always seems interesting. I always feel like I'm in the right place, and that nothing is missing. There is even a feeling that nothing is in my life that shouldn't be. When something comes along, an awkward moment, a negative person, or some sort of trouble, it feels like all I need to do is sidestep it. I just stay out of my own way, and let my inspiration move me. Even watching my mind stay busy, reading, writing, coming up with ideas, is inspiring. Everything is happening the way it should happen, in every moment, and that is what I experience as Grace. If you want to hear about suffering, I must be getting that too, because sometimes I feel my body contract or my face tighten, or I get impatient or annoyed. Sometimes I complain, or get sharp with somebody, but when that happens it feels like the right thing to do. If it's not the right thing, I still have no problem accepting the consequences. Some things bother me for a while, like a dark cloud passing over. But mostly, even that is inspiring, and I can learn from everything. What's great is that I never have a bad day!"     Almost before I finished expressing these thoughts, he said "I see. So how do you think you will know when you actually are awakened?"
     Another time an online acquaintance who administrates a meditation website  asked for feedback on his new meditation video. I found it friendly but basic, good for beginners and people who need to learn to sit still for a few minutes. We had a couple of exchanges, and he asked me "have you had your Enlightenment experience?"
     I gave him a reply similar to that above, and he recommended that I watch his more advanced video of the Two Birds meditation. Viewing it, finding it both distracting and amusing, I had to ask him "have you had your "Enlightenment experience?"
"Yes:)" was his reply.
     Probably the only way anyone can really genuinely use a single word to describe their experience of beingness, is when it is handed down by a great spiritual master. Even then there are those who bitterly deny even that master of such a title, and many more who simply don't buy such a thing exists at all.
     But, if I can say I never have a bad day, and feel content in every moment, and follow my inspiration, what difference does it make? Words such as enlightened, awake, moksha, or liberated are just labels that fall off a tree like rotted fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment