Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Who are we? A new line of inquiry

Who am I? or Who are We? Occurs that I should become i, and we should be We. The question expands our concept of dual nature of an individual to that of community.
Getting feedback already from Tweeting it, things like "we and i are the same," or "who am I" will lead to awakening. Interesting how the mind clings to and defends old notions, and cherishes not avoiding change. I'm guilty of it too. But, when you're stuck you're stuck, and unless you cherish the place of stuck-ness you will have to open to changing things.
Who is awakening anyway? Adya and others are now talking about so many people awakening, and the satsangs are being delivered all about "losing and finding," and how we have "many awakenings." Yet I look around, and all I see is the same old teachers sitting up in front of the class, almost a status quo, and the same questions from the seekers seeking to clarify troubled feelings, or share their recent experience of emptiness. It's sad! I tell Dorothy, or Pamela, or whoever that it's sad, and they infer that it's okay, everyone is where they need to be. They reassure us as individuals on an individual path, experiencing unique awakenings. "You" and "I" more than "We." Is that the best we can do?
ADDENDUM 5-17:
I am deconstructing the I AM teaching, so the WHO ARE WE must go as well. It is an expanded concept, but as obstructive as the other. Such obstructions cannot be the way to enlightenment; enlightenment occurs despite them. My own direct experience in this moment does not present an awareness of I AM. My contemplation of I AM brings forth a kaleidoscope of imaginary things and divisions of mind, the observer, witness, etc, all of it temporary, changing, and unreal. However it can be seen to be interesting even amusing.

4 comments:

  1. "Yet I look around, and all I see is the same old teachers sitting up in front of the class, almost a status quo, and the same questions from the seekers seeking to clarify troubled feelings, or share their recent experience of emptiness. It's sad!..."
    This is creation -let there be light -let there be no spiritual awakening(yr thoughts summarised).
    We have the power of Gods and the world follows our thoughts which has been known for thousands of years -maybe longer - what we see in the world manifests from what we project onto it with our minds. I would encourage you to put the illusion of the past behing you (hehe) and create the illusion of the future!!!
    Having said that this is desire and dwells in the mind - one might get comfy with the idea that the whole world is going down the toilet ! - what's the difference -who are you? Isn't Life just your dream?
    But things are not going downhill -it's my perception that we are on the "in-breath" of Brahman where the world of separate selves are returning - more and more people from unspectaclular backgrounds are 'popping' into awakening and Buddhahood without being The Great Buddha!
    Gangaji (a texan grandmother) and makes this
    point about herself and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NIce thoughts, thanks esp about being on the in breath. Maybe Ive gone to too many satsangss and RL teachings - hundreds. I like gangaji, seen her many times, and had a nice dialog with her in 2000. She was last here in April, I saw her in San Rafael, and was somewehat disillusioned by the seekers she interviewed...one told her "I don't know why I'm here, I just came to say hi." Another just sat there and laughed for 10 minutes. I had a question for her but didn't get picked out of the crowd. I spent 3 hours extra doing volunteer work, moving chairs, etc. She had 250 ppl, and made over $5000 for the 2 hour event. Cie la vie, all is well no matter what, but...it's more inspiring to see gains made, not patterns repeated, at least thats what I keep telling myself lol:)

      Delete
  2. Oops -you don't like "Who are you?"
    The mind can only tell us who or what we are *not*.
    The answer to "who are you?" is found when we stop thinking and when we resume thinking it cannot be explained.
    This is my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, any inquiry is helpful really...excuse my B&W approach again. I just have to wonder why "we" hasn't been used. I find that starting with WE is a more expanded awareness, and closer to unitive awareness. We are one, so how about people just starting there? Curious about it...

      Delete